Bananas are one of the most widely consumed fruits in the world for good reason.
Bananas are rich in a mineral called potassium. This mineral is important as it helps maintain fluid levels in the body and regulates the movement of nutrients and waste products in and out of cells.
Potassium also helps muscles to contract and nerve cells to respond. It keeps the heart beating regularly and can reduce the effect of sodium on blood pressure.
Nutrional value of banana :
A medium banana of approx 120 gms serves :
Calories – 105
Carbs – 24g
Fibre – 3.5g
Protein – 2g
Fats – 0.5g
Micro nutrition of banana :
Potassium – 9% of RDI
Vitamin B6 – 33% of RDI
Vitamin C – 11% of RDI
Magnesium – 8% of RDI
Copper – 10% of RDI
Manganese – 14% of RDI
Folate – 6% of RDI
RDI – Recommended Dietary Intake
Also, banana is loaded with IRON, that is the sole reason why banana turns black when bananas skin is removed and left aside it starts turning black.
BANANA FOR WEIGHT LOSS :
Often banana is misunderstood for weight gain. Yes, banana does gain weight when eaten according to the terms to gain weight. Otherwise, there is no harm to eat banana if you are on a diet to lose weight.
- Banana has low glycemic index compared to other fruits. ( Eating low-GI carbohydrate foods causes a steady rise in the level of glucose in the blood, which in turn leads to a small and gentle rise in insulin ) Eating low glycemic foods are good for the health of your body especially if you are trying to loose weight.
- Bananas keep you full and sated for a long time. This means that eating banana will keep your hunger at bay keeping you full for a long time. Unlike other fruits which give us instant energy but gets circulated in our body within 20 minutes and gives energy according to it. Banana is the only fruit which keeps you full for a long time, gives instant energy and maintains that energy for a long time.
- Banana increases metabolism rate. Also aids in fat circulation. This means it circulates fat in all the directions and does not allow the fat to get settled in one place.
- Banana prevent water retention in the body. The reason is because of the potassium content the sodium levels are balanced, which prevents water retention.
How and when to eat banana for weight loss?
If you want to lose weight quickly and in a healthy way the best way to eat a banana is on an empty stomach daily.
Drink some water, get fresh and eat only ONE banana. After that have your breakfast after 30 mins. Also, eat the inside part of the banana peel. ( This is explained below).
Banana when eaten before lunch time helps in weightloss.
How and when to eat banana for weight gain?
If you want to gain weight have two bananas during the breakfast (not on empty stomach).
Banana peel for weight loss :
The inside part of the peel of the banana is very nutritious. Just like the lemon peels,orange peels, the inside part of the banana also has many nutrional health benefits.
- Just with a spoon scratch the inside part of the banana peel and you can have it as it is. Thought it won’t taste as sweet as the banana fruit but it is healthier in many ways. Also,this aids weight loss.
Make sure you immediately eat the inside flesh of the banana peal. Also, never store banana peals in the refridgerator.
Other health benefits of eating banana:
- Banana is Good for healthy and glowing skin.
- Banana is good for blood circulation. Also, a banana prevents blood clotting.
- Banana contains serotonin which enhances mood and prevents depression.i.e. it increases happy hormones.
- Banana is very good for female health as it contains iron which keeps the haemoglobin levels proper. Also, banana is loaded with calcium. As women tends to loose calcium at a certain age ( i.e. the calcium density falls ) bananas can be a saviour.
Don’ts of bananas :
- Never eat a banana post sunset.
- Never eat a banana with salt as it might harm the bone health of your body.
- New fancy diets have come up called the ‘banana diet‘ where people eat only bananas. Never do this mistake. Eating lot of bananas can lead to constipation.
- Banana shakes are good for consumption (also for weightloss) when consumed with cinnamon powder. However, do not consume banana shakes everyday.
Note : why sportmen eat banana during breaks..?
You can consume a banana pre workout and post workout also during the workouts. If observed, sportsmen eat nothing but only bananas during the breaks of their matches. The only reason behind it is it contains sugar which provides instant energy. Also, bananas contain fibre which keeps you full for a long time. Also, the water which is lost while sweating is retained by the banana. Hence, you can have a banana pre workout, during the workout and post workout.
I hope now you have basic knowlegde about the nutritional content of the banana and also how it has to be consumed to lose weight and to gain weight. Please try and grab the healthy benefits of banana. Write to me about your experiences and queries.
Read more : Top 10 Foods for Diabetes
Read more : Top 10 Super-Foods for Hair Growth
Read more : The Ultimate Low Fat Diet Plan – What To Eat?