What you eat has a profound effect on your body as well as your mind. But, along with this, the timings of your meal also play an important role in the proper functioning of your body.
Breakfast has often been called the king of all meals, and many diet experts have also termed it as the most important meal of the day. But just because one meal is so important, it doesn’t mean that it is ok to skip the other meals. Many believe that eating at night will make them fat, and thus, they prefer skipping dinner.
According to Ayurveda, the night meal is one thing that you need to be very careful about. Since it is the last meal of the day, it is very important to have it at the correct time. It is equally important to make the right choice of food.
Foods That Increase Kapha Dosha
There are a few foods you must avoid eating at night since they create an imbalance in the kapha dosha. Junk food, oily food, nonvegetarian items, frozen food, heavy-to-digest food, curd, or ice cream are a few things that you must avoid eating during night time. Even if you eat them, try to have them in less or limited quantities. Eating more of them during the night may create an imbalance in the body and lead to complications like:
- Weight gain
- A runny nose when you wake up in the morning
- Cough and cold. If you are already suffering from a cough and cold, chances are the condition will worsen
- Vomiting sensation
- Excessive salivation in the morning
Eventually, wrong eating habits can lead to the formation and accumulation of toxic substances in the body, which can cause several health complications.
If you’re suffering from any of the above complications, it’s high time you start taking proper care of yourself. Sometimes, a slight adjustment in your diet pattern can cure or improve most of these conditions. So, the next question that arises is what type of adjustments can improve your health.
What Things To Eat At Night?
- It is suggested to eat food that is easy to digest at night. Also, try to eat a healthy and low-carb diet as it gets digested easily.
- If you have the habit of eating curd at night, replace it with buttermilk. Prefer chapatis over rice since chapatis are easy and quicker to digest.
- Do not overstuff yourself. Eat in limited quantities
- Try to include more of dal, green leafy vegetables, curry leaves, and a small amount of ginger in your meal.
- Salt is supposed to increase the water retention in the body. Hence, it is better to cut down on the intake of salt.
- Spices, on the other hand, increase warmth in your body, so try to include spices in your food.
- Reduce the sugar intake and replace it with honey as it helps in reducing the mucus.
- If you have the habit of drinking milk before you sleep, prefer low-fat milk. Always boil the milk before drinking it. This makes it easier to digest. You can also add a small amount of ginger or cardamom to the milk before boiling it, which helps in reducing the mucus generating properties.
- Do not drink cold milk. Have it while it is still warm.
The thumb rule you must follow while having your dinner is to make sure that whatever you eat, you should not get a feeling of heaviness in the stomach. Instead, your stomach must feel light so that you can sleep properly.
Not only Ayurveda, but modern science also suggests having light food at night. We hope this information helps you maintain your health. Share your views in the comments box below.